Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mixed Media Sewing Cards Frosted Designs Challenge

I was so excited about this week's Fabulous Friday Challenge over at Frosted Designs.  This week we were challenged to create a card, project or layout using "lacing". 

When I think of "lacing" my mind immediately wanders back to childhood.  I spent hours "sewing" the outlines of objects on those punched out lacing cards.  In the Winter 2012 issue of Sew Somerset, Taryn Reece, wrote an article entitled "Mixed-Media Sewing Cards".  She created her own version of sewing cards using an old Sorry game board.  Genius!  I knew this was just what I wanted to use as inspiration for this weeks challenge. 

While in Las Vegas last month I found a Sorry gameboard from the early 1970's.  I packed it in the suitcase and brought that baby home!  My husband graciously cut the gameboard down into 6- 6 x 9 in rectangles on his tablesaw.  I sanded the edges to clean them up.  I then gessoed the entire surface allowing some of the gameboard designs to peek through.  I traced my design and drilled the holes with my husbands bench drill press.  I then added the painted details, collage, doodles, etc.  I laced the bird sewing card using black waxed linen lacing (found in the leather isle at your local craft store).



The butterfly and flower pot sewing cards were laced using colored jute cording.




I will likely use them as covers for journals in the future.  I had lots of fun making them.  I hope this inspires you to try your own lacing project!  Don't forget to link it up over at Frosted Designs!

3 comments:

  1. Great cards, love the lacing. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my card. Yours are just wonderful works of art. I really like the blurry effect of the edges - sorry I cannot describe it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an interesting concept & technique. Very funky. x

    ReplyDelete