Friday, June 24, 2011

Journal Artista Stencil Saturday Challenge

Last year, I came across the Stampington and Company Art Journaling magazine.  I loved all the ideas in it, but wanted to know more.  I decided to search art journaling on You Tube.  Who knew there was so much out there?  The first search resulted several amazing You Tube videos taught by Journal Artista, Paula Phillips, on the topic of art journaling.  www.youtube.com/user/JournalArtista   I watched them over and over again, scouring to learn about tools of the trade, tips, and techniques.  Wow!  I am forever grateful for her willingness to share her knowledge.  This is exactly what I needed.  I used to love scrapbooking, but bored with it easily.  I hated my pages as I was such a perfectionist.  I needed more paint, inks, crayons, etc.  Art journaling has become an important part of my life.  A form of self expression.  I follow Paula's blog at www.journalartistaart.com/  She is a gifted communicator, and always willing to answer any question that you have.

Twice a week,  she works her magic creating the most amazing backgrounds live via Ustream.  www.ustream.tv/channel/journalartista.  It's fun to chat with people who have the same interest.  Everyone has been kind to share tips, products, and a word of encouragement.   I look forward to getting to know them a little better.   Every Saturday, she focuses her attention using stencils to create her page.  In her blog challenge she wanted us to use stencils of our choice to create a page and link it to her blog.  She is giving away Crafter's Workshop stencils to the name drawn.  I hope I win! 

For my first page I chose to make my own stencil from a free daisy clip art picture.  I cut it out on a transparency using an exacto knife.  Last weekend Paula used a gingko leaf stencil on her page using light modeling paste to create a raised effect.  It was really cool!  I had purchased some Golden Modeling Paste at Michael's the night before with my trusty coupon. (Got to love coupons!)  I decided to give it a whirl.  I did this spread in my ledger journal.




 I first stamped a daisy all over the background with my Black Staz On ink pad.  I covered it with green acrylic craft paint in several colors.  Added some gesso.  I then used the stencil and painted on yellow daisies.  Covered it with more craft paint. I don't remember how many layers in all.   I added the photo of Maisie when she was little.  It was one of my favorites her Dad took of her when she was just a tike.  I then took the modeling paste and created the white large daisies.  Paula said not to use a heat gun on modeling paste, so I allowed it to dry overnight.  I then painted the daisies with white acrylic paint.  That night I added various stamped images, rubon's, and some random sequence waste circles.  I then used my permaball pin to doodle around the outside of all the white daisies and around the edges.  I used my Neocolor II's to fill in the outside scalloped doodle.  I also added a little Portfolio watersoluble oil pastels around the page for highlights.  I love the way it turned out.  My sweet Daisy Maisie!




I was feeling inspired so I created a second page inspired by Chris Tomlin's song "Let Faith Arise". 



I used several stencils, diecut scrapbook letters, SEI Tumble Die ink, Adirondack Color Wash ink, Portfolio watersoluble oil pastels, acrylic paint, Permaball Pilot pen, paper gaffers tape, Dr. Martin's Calligraphy Ink, and a hot air balloon stamp from the dollar bin at Michael's. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Michelle!! Those are fantastic! Love, love, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and bright piece of art! You have all these wonderful layers but you still keep the adorable photo as a focal point!

    ReplyDelete